New leases for Queensland properties, entered into on and from 1 September 2023 will attract the implementation of new Minimum Housing Standards.
Rental properties will be required to be safe, secure and functional as the Minimum Housing Standards require:
- the premises to be weatherproof and structurally sound;
- fixtures and fittings to be in good repair and not likely to cause injury to a person;
- locks (on windows and doors);
- the premises to be free of vermin, damp and mould;
- privacy coverings;
- adequate plumbing and drainage; and
- functioning kitchen and laundry facilities (where supplied).
Although this seems to be quite some time away, it would be relevant to those considering entering a lease of six months or so as the next lease would then be impacted. These issues should be considered when purchasing property that is to be a rental property as it may be considered when making an offer (as work may need to be performed to comply with the standards). Property owners or potential purchasers should aim to clarify obligations with body corporates where applicable prior to the Housing Standards being enforced as there may be some dispute as to where responsibilities lie.
From 1 September 2024, the standards will apply to all residential leases (regardless of the commencement date of the lease).
Are you looking to sell your home in Queensland or Victoria? If so, don’t hesitate to reach out. Ownit provides seamless and stress free conveyancing to buyers and sellers!
Settle it, anywhere, anytime with OwnIt